30 min, 2-3 servings
- 1 cup Maple Hill vanilla kefir
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup Maple Hill whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons butter for pan
- Preheat oven to 200° F.
- Whisk together kefir, egg, and milk, then stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until it just smooth—don’t over mix batter. Let it rest 10-15 minutes. The batter will be thick.
- Heat griddle or pan over medium heat. Test the heat of the pan: when a few drops of water scatter on the surface, the griddle is hot enough. Add a generous pat of butter to pan and let it foam.
- Working in batches, use ¼ cup measure to pour batter onto pan. Lift and rotate pan if necessary to spread your batter. Lower heat to medium-low, and once bubbles appear on surface, flip. Cook until fully browned, about one minute more. Transfer to a heatproof plate in the warmed oven and repeat until batter is gone.
- Serve with nut butters, real maple syrup, or Greek yogurt.
*You can add just about anything to this sturdy batter: citrus zest, finely chopped nuts, fresh berries, minced banana, or even crumbled bacon.