Berries always taste best and have the most nutritional value when they are harvested in season at the peak of freshness. Preserve that freshness for the off season with these simple steps!
- Rinse the berries in cold water.
- Soak the berries in a bowl of cold water with a splash of Bragg’s Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Allow to soak for 3-5 minutes. This step ensures that the dirt and any insects from freshly picked berries are washed away.
- Remove from the soak water and rinse again in cold water.
- Cover a hard surface with clean towels and spread the berries out to dry.
- When the berries are dry, place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and put them in the freezer for 45 minutes to an hour or until they are firm to the touch.
- Remove from the freezer and transfer into storage bags or glass jars and place back in the freezer for later use in your favorite recipes!
This method works well with all berries and grapes! Check out this article for more information on the benefits of blueberries!